A Letter to My Sister
To my Chinnu,
This is my love for you. The love of a penniless,
hopeless elder sister. The love of a sister who is trying to build a foundation
for herself, losing track of the very days and months in the process. The love
of a sister who thought a hundred times about sending you a birthday gift, but
in the end, couldn’t even manage to buy a piece of candy to send you today.
I don’t remember it myself, but Amma had told me. When
she went for a scan while pregnant with you, the doctor asked me if I wanted a
little brother or a little sister. I said I wanted a sister. Ammama immediately
told me, “Say you want a baby brother; you already have a sister at home!”
(Which is our cousin) From then on, I started praying for a brother. But in the
end, the god answered my first, innocent prayer for a sister. And I swear, from
the moment I saw you, I was very protective about you. I can still vaguely
recall the scenes from Uvvachan’s wedding video, the visuals of me holding you
in my arms, refusing to let anyone else even touch you. It is one of my
earliest, clearest memories of us.
An eight-year age gap is no small thing; I’ve written
about this once before. When other elder sisters say things like, “My younger
sister is like my first daughter,” I don’t really feel any connection to that.
In fact, I’ve wondered why I don’t feel that way. Having lived as an only child
for eight years, when you finally arrived, all I wanted was a companion. But
you were too small to be my friend back then. I couldn’t really play with you
or be your peer during your childhood. By the time you were at an age to play,
I was already a teenager. You were too young to understand or sense my teenage
tantrums. Mentally, it was a time when I felt quite distant from you. Years
later, after we had both grown up, a high school friend of mine saw us together
and told me how happy it made her. Her sister is only two years apart from her,
and they were always best friends. She reminded me how back then, I used to
vent to her about how my little sister could never be my friend and how I
couldn’t share anything with you because of that gap.
But today, you are my closest friend. I know you know.
You are my best listener, the person who knows all my strengths and weaknesses,
and who never ever judges me. Sleeping next to you with your legs and arms on
me is the most peaceful sleep I have. Even when we are at home and you are just
a call away, I feel sad if you don’t check in on me every now and then. If you
don’t listen to what I’m saying, I get angry and hurt. I am incredibly
possessive about you, though not as possessive as you are of me. In the distant
future I imagine, there will be only the two of us. I wonder why that is. A
partner or a child never enters my mind. But I don’t think that means I see you
as my daughter either.
I have tried so hard to ensure that you got everything
that I couldn’t have. From the childhood I lost to Achamma’s strict moral and
conventional discipline which never let me even wear what I wanted, to our
mental health that became so complicated along the way due to many reasons. I
was studying in Pondi when you got your first periods. I still remember you
crying over the phone, saying, “Enikk pediyavunnu Chechi….” I remember
strictly telling Amma and Achan back then to make sure you don’t feel
embarrassed in any way. Because I have had enough of it when during my first
periods. And I didn’t want you to go through the same.
I always try to be available for you. You often say
that I’ve only recently started to truly understand you, and I feel guilty
about that. I’ve never felt I am the ideal sister you might wish for, and I
honestly don’t know if I can ever be the one. I’m probably just a typical
sister and a selfish individual. But you are my priority. I might not interfere
much in your daily life, but I truly hope that in your most difficult moments,
I am the first person you run to. I believe I have prepared the ground for you
to feel safe enough to do just that.
We have both inherited our fair share of traumas and
insecurities. If anything, you might carry an ounce more of them than I do.
But... I want you to realize that you have wings too. Your world can be so much
more colourful and vibrant. I want you to be nothing less than happy.
I love you, Chinnu. And I am here, always.
Happy Birthday.



Comments
Post a Comment